Disclaimer: Some links in this article may be affiliate links. Please see our disclosure for full details.
What is the “Sheer Fun For Cats” Cat Toy?
The Sheer Fun For Cats toy is essentially a sturdy fabric that reminds a cat of curtains (at least, based on our experience!).
According to their website, “Sheer Fun For Cats is a completely new concept. There is no other toy like it on the market. It brings out a cat’s natural instinct to hide, hunt, stalk, and pounce! Old toys become new again when seen through Sheer Fun. And exciting, stimulating play can help keep your cats healthier.”
Biskit LOVES destroying curtains. There’s a reason we have not put up our new curtains in the house we just moved into!
This toy is lined with fabric that makes it so it doesn’t tear. It also has a ball with a string that velcros on. Plus, it has extra velcros so you can hang the fabric up on something like a chair.
Chip gets interested in this toy when one of his favorite toys slips underneath it. Then, he turns into a wild little kitty!
The Mastermind Behind Sheer Fun For Cats
Carolyn Keene, the creative mind behind the innovative “Sheer Fun For Cats,” has always had a deep love for animals since her early childhood. Carolyn had a passion for cats and the Sheer Fun For Cats website tells her story about how she adopted a sweet kitten named Trooper.
She had a pet sitting business and noticed how there always were so many cat toys that go untouched! An inventive idea struck her one day as she observed her cats’ fascination with sheer curtains. This observation led to the birth of “Sheer Fun For Cats.”
Trooper, in particular, adored this product and relished the thrill of stalking his favorite toy from behind or underneath the sheer fabric. The sheer transformed ordinary toys into exciting novelties, and every time Carolyn moved it to a new location, it was as though she had given Trooper a brand-new plaything!
Does This Toy Work?
Chip and Biskit have loved this toy so much!
Just as advertised, this cat toy does not tear (although Biskit has tried REALLY hard)!
It also is fun to place their other toys, like Chip’s favorite silvervine sticks, underneath the fabric and let them try their hardest to get it out from the fabric!
Below you’ll see a video from Chip and Biskit’s famous Cat Conversations YouTube series that features this fun toy!
Why Cats Need New Toys
If you own cats, you know firsthand that they always need new things to look at and play with!
Sometimes it is as simple as a new cardboard box or a hairtie!
Anyone who shares their life with a kitty friend knows that cats have a playful nature. However, just like humans, cats can get bored with the same old routine, and that’s where new toys come into play – quite literally!
Giving your cat new toys and objects in their environment not only keep them entertained but it is also vital for their mental and physical well-being!
One of the primary reasons why cats need new toys is to make sure they do not get too bored!
Cats are natural hunters, and in the wild, they would spend a significant portion of their day stalking, chasing, and pouncing on prey.
In a home setting (indoor cat), where their meals are conveniently served in a bowl, they can quickly become restless without opportunities to engage their predatory instincts. New toys provide the much-needed source of mental stimulation, allowing them to exercise their problem-solving skills and keep their minds sharp!
Another reason to introduce new toys is to prevent behavior problems. We’ve experienced this issues in the past with Chip.
Cats left to their own devices without adequate stimulation can resort to undesirable behaviors like scratching furniture, overeating, or even aggression. Providing new toys can help redirect their energy!
How To Choose A New Toy For Your Cat
- Safety First:
Safety should always be your top priority when choosing a new toy for your cat. Ensure that the toy is made from non-toxic materials and doesn’t have small parts that could be a choking hazard. Be aware of toys with easily detachable components that your cat might swallow or get stuck in their throat.
- Cat’s Personality: Just like humans, cats have their own unique personalities and preferences! Some cats may like interactive toys that mimic the movements of prey, like feather wands, while others might prefer solo play with a simple ball or a stuffed mouse. This is how it is with our cats.
- Texture and Sensory Appeal: Cats have sensitive paws and love to explore different textures! Toys with various textures, such as soft plush or crinkly fabric can pique their curiosity and provide tactile stimulation. Toys infused with catnip or other enticing scents can also be a ton of fun!
- Interactive or Solo Play: Consider whether you want a toy that your cat can play with on their own or one that requires your active involvement. Interactive toys, such as puzzle feeders or laser pointers, can engage your cat’s mind and encourage physical activity when you’re available to participate. On the other hand, solo toys like balls and stuffed animals can keep your cat occupied when you’re not around.
- Durability: Cats can be quite rough with their toys, so opt for ones that are durable and able to withstand their claws and teeth. Look for reinforced seams and strong materials to ensure longevity.
- Budget Considerations: While there are plenty of fancy cat toys on the market, you don’t need to break the bank to keep your cat happy!
Chip and Biskit have loved the Sheer Fun For Cats toy!
You can see their excitement in the photos and videos! It’s become a new favorite for our kitties and it could be your cat’s next favorite!
You can check out the Sheer Fun For Cats toy on Amazon here!
Note: This article is NOT sponsored by Sheer Fun For Cats. All content in this article is purely our own opinion and was written without the influence of Sheer Fun For Cats.